Monday, July 6, 2009

Silence is Golden









I haven't blogged in eons, and one of my two faithful readers has started threatening the welfare of my favorite organ, the liver. (Judy, could you talk to your daughter about her violent tendencies?) 

I feel like a bit of a failure, starting a new blog, and then abandoning it, but I have lost my writing mojo. For months. And apparently you can't take a pill to get it back. 


Losing my job and not working feels like I've gone from sprinting on sand directly into waist-deep water. Just impossible to keep going. You'd think with several months of unemployment behind me I could have accomplished a few tasks, such as, oh I don't know, vacuuming the carpet, but that would mean I'd have to relocate the piles of laundry, both clean and dirty, that have taken up residence on the open areas of the floor. Some days I wake up and the cats look away in disgust. Even they are disappointed in me. 


The dining table in my place has become the place where resume-rewrite motivation has gone to die. The table has months of paperwork piled up on it. Binders and printed emails and notes from different career counselors sits on it, just waiting to be read and put to good use. One of my cats, Birdie has noticed and a few weeks ago decided that if I wasn't going to do anything of worth with the table, she was taking it over. She can see the goings on of the outside world (through the window) and the apartment from the table, and she perches on it all day. But to perch she has to create some space for herself, which she has done by knocking everything else off the table. She's gotta pretty territorial about the table, and if I dare try to put something else on the table, she knocks it right off. 


I suppose the cat's attitude is a reflection of my own shitty one. This week she's started swishing her tail across the computer keyboard whenever I try to type something. In fact, her exact words to me when I began this post were "Blog this, bitch." The photos in this post were taken as I was working on it. In a way it's the cat's fault I haven't written anything in a while. :o)


It's not all bad. Being unemployed means you don't have a lot of discretionary income, but it does mean you get a lot of free time to enjoy the summer and spend time with friends. I've never been more happy to have friends and family who are professors and teachers who have the summers free. As well as those who make time for me on their vacations and long weekends. It's truly appreciated


Now if only some of you hadn't moved so far away....although my liver is probably safer with the distance between us. 


1 comment:

  1. This sounds like something the TV people on Bravo or TLC would send in some British superheroes for and film everything for a Friday night season premiere. I can just see them trying to tame Birdie off of your table and just giving up and buying you a new desk after the cat won the fight.

    I smell EMMY!

    ReplyDelete