Tuesday, December 8, 2009

I'm reading, y'all.

So I haven't really gotten into the blog groove of late, and I feel crappy about that, cause I have things to say! And stories! Because I ride the City friggin Bus, y'all. My immune system is growing by leaps and bounds. BRING ON THE SWING FLU, BITCHES!

Ok, I'm a bit crazed with the exclamation points right now (!!!!!!!!!!).

Aside from interactions with people I didn't know existed - ! Dude, a big black man twice my height and my girth asked me if he could smoke in the bus shelter and I was like "DUDE, You can't smoke in here, do it outside," and HE DID. Last week an old drunk yelled at me to sit down and I yelled right back that I didn't want to sit cause I'd been doing it all day. And he shut the f*ck up. Apparently I have powers over the impoverished yet rude people of the city. - wait, what was I talking about? Oh right, I have had plenty of time to start reading again. Something I haven't done in about 5 years. I'm currently juggling two.

The first is by Bruce Campbell, of "Evil Dead" fame. I am enjoying it, because he is a hilarious writer (or his ghost writer is). My only complaint is he drags on in certain sections describing movie camera shit that is not at all interesting to me. But I read and re-read the parts about growing up with his brothers. Growing up with brothers, as it turns out, isn't all that different from growing up with sisters, in that we all just pounded the crap out of each other while our parents tried to balance the checkbook.

If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of B Movie Actor

The other one is more serious in nature, "Hungry," by Crystal Renn, who is now a plus-sized model. I thought the beginning dragged, but it held me captive because she grew up in a situation similar to other people I know. And let me tell you, being tall I had my share of people saying I should model (because I was tall, I'd like to point out, never because they thought I was pretty) (assholes) and reading this is chilling me to the bone and making me beyond thankful I never really tried. I thought I had some body image issues - but I wasn't 98-pound teenager being told by adults to loose weight. This book is heart-wrenching and infuriating and absolutely fascinating.

Hungry: A Young Model's Story of Appetite, Ambition and the Ultimate Embrace of Curves

So what are you reading?

4 comments:

  1. I started "One For the Money", the first in a series of about twenty or so mysteries, by Janet Evanovich, but I haven't picked it back up yet.

    I would really like to read something that either captivates me, challenges me, or makes me laugh so hard I pee a little. I'll take suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even after all these years (I started buying his books in high school), Dave Barry is my go-to read for laughs. Doesn't matter how many times I've read the stories, they make me laugh to the point where I'm silently crying and trying to breathe again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Egads! I totally forgot about him! I own two of his books!!

    (!!)

    Excuse me while I go tear our guest room closet apart looking for them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading a crappy book for work called "How to recognize a depressing job" or something. They make us read a book every quarter now to help foster management development.

    Recreationally, I read XKCD every day. You should too.

    ReplyDelete